Mailing Lists

dodger PMMAIL Discussion List <PMMAIL-L@VM.EGE.EDU.TR>
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 14:08:55 -0700

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999 22:53:08 +0100, Menno Tillema wrote:

>On Mon, 5 Apr 1999 13:45:22 -0700, Paul Wiener wrote:
>
>   > >>like to send the same post to the other network mailing lists. I
>do not want to
>   > >>send CC to the other lists, since the replies can get messy.
>
>Can't you use BCC instead?

As a list subscriber, I find it mildly irritating when people BCC posts to
a list.  I have my filters set up to screen out BCC posts as suspected
SPAM (the last in several lines of defense).

It (BCCing to a list) also results in my having to take the time to figure
out which list it came from before I can reply to it.  True, it's not
exactly a difficult task but it's still annoying.

One of the lists I subscribe to has the ability to strip all other To and
CC addresses before forwarding it on to the subscribers.  I don't remember
what list software they're using, but this strikes me as an excellent way
to deal with the problem.  However, since we can't expect all list servers
to have the same set of features, some way to split a message into
individual posts would be helpful.

- Shawn

dodger@softhome.net
http://www.southern.eskimo.net/dodger/

"[The Nevada Boxing Commission] has declared [Mike Tyson]
mentally fit to beat the crap out of other men."     - David Letterman