Timezones again

Paul Hodges PMMAIL Discussion List <PMMAIL-L@VM.EGE.EDU.TR>
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 09:24:06 +0100

>On Mon, 29 Mar 1999 02:06:15 +0000, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

>> So, why does bloody PMMail still think it is GMT ? Other programs get
>> it right.

Actually I have at least one other program that got it wrong (daytime
- the program I use to run the time daemon for my office...).
Different libraries use different formats for the TZ variable,
unfortunately; I suspect that in this case the use of -1 for the
/last/ Sunday of the month is what failed, but I haven't tested it.

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999 21:36:53 -0700, Kris Sorem Sr wrote:

>really don't understand why GMT is used for standard time while BST is
>used for daylight time.

Easy:- Greenwich Mean Time and British Summer Time.  Since the
letters are essentially comment, they don't really matter (BST also
indicates Brazil...).

Paul Hodges
QBS Software Ltd