PMMail as Listserver

Joerg Bencke PMMAIL Discussion List <PMMAIL-L@VM.EGE.EDU.TR>
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:54:01 +0200

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:54:50 -0400, Subba Rao wrote:

>How do I use PMMail as a listserver?

Hi there. You can do that pretty easily with PMMAil :
-filter wrong addresses
-filter html mails
-filter spam

(Well how much you implement is your stuff, but the last two would reduce
bandwith usage a lot, I know what I say:-)

PROBLEM : a mail header can only contain so many bytes. Once you are
beyond (roughly) 80 -
100 email adresses complete with realname (there is a byte size, but I
forgot it), most email servers will just drop the rest, so your "To: , CC:
or BCC: just get broken by your SMTP server, you use. Makes for very
incomplete deliveries.

There is someone, who offers his verions for PMMAil/2 (check
southsoft.com)

Whats the alternative :
list is easily distributed cause every member is mailed to separately.

PROBLEM: You have 100 members of the list, 5 mails per day, each mail 3k.
That makes 1485 k just for redistribution. I hope you have a fast or cheap
connection.

WWW : use www.egroups.com, a comercial listserv-provider with www
interface features.
PROBLEM: a small comercial as signature of each mail and the WWW Interface
is not one of the most secure. If you do not want to have others listen
in, well ....

Hope that helped, have fun.
Josch

--- c't, Politik-Digital und jetzt auch der Josch fragen :
Hast Du etwas gegen Massensendungen und Werbe-Emails ?
!!!   => Dann wehre Dich gegen die Werbe-Lobby   <= !!!
!!!   =>       Online Petition gegen SPAM        <= !!!
!!!   => http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/de   <= !!!
!!!   intl. petition : only www.politik-digital.de  !!!