regarding (HTML) overhead

Cristian Secara PMMAIL Discussion List <PMMAIL-L@VM.EGE.EDU.TR>
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:13:04 +0300

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 17:11:11 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>My 638 bytes of "overhead" consisted of the proper SIG marker (DASH,
>DASH, SPACE, NEWLINE), a signature of under 4 lines (proper netiquette), and
>the authentication information provided by PGP.

Still on overhead subject ... your last 2 messages, dated 16 Apr 1999 16:58:53 -0700 and 16 Apr 1999 17:11:11 -0700 gives
- using PMMail: 'Unable to verify PGP signature; Public key is not in keyring'
- using PGPtools v6.0.2: Signer: (Unknown, KeyID=0x59C2F7670, Signed: <date> (Unknown Key)
(your key *is* in my keyring, previously Steve Lamb signed messages are ok)

Looking at my own signed message, gives
- using PMMail: 'Invalid signature by Cristian Secara etc..'
- using PGPtools v6.0.2: Signer: [myself], Signed: Bad Signature

Is this a problem with the listserver ? If the message was not altered (mine sure is not, I read it), then this false verification is another source of overhead ...
(the copy of my message, saved in Sent Mail folder, gives authentication ok)

>Your 1087 bytes of overhead excluded your rather short signature and is
>almost an exact duplicate of the non-HTML version except that the quoted area
>is light grey instead of default.  Of course, the quotes are already denoted
>by the conventional > quote marker so even the color change serves no
>purpose.

Probably you're right.
As I told you, I liked this from Fidonet mailers, where the conventional > quote marker is doubled by yellow color of the respective quoted text.
Just look at a message received few hours ago, from Steve Marvin, dated 16 Apr 1999 15:42:33 -0400. What is quote and what not ? Who is who ? Yes, I can tell, but hardly. If the quote was different in color, it was better.
Still my opinion, of course ...

>In short, I am keeping within convention and provide useful information
>whereas yours provides nothing which isn't already apparent in the original.

Except where useful information (PGP signature) becomes useless information, due to (yet) unknown reasons.

Best wishes,
        Cristi