PGP signatures

Steve Lamb PMMAIL Discussion List <PMMAIL-L@VM.EGE.EDU.TR>
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 21:55:56 -0700

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999 23:21:58 -0400, Ralph Cohen wrote:

>>    No, because the original isn't signed.  If they make changes to the
>>original they can still use my signed reply as verification of it.

>Guess what!  You could send a PGP signed version of the original
>message as confirmation of it's authenticity.

    Which I could change from the original before sending it out.  You're not
quite grasping the concept, here, are you?

>>    Why should I be concerned?  Waste bandwidth.  I don't think the ~210
>>bytes that represents the PGP signature is bandwidth to be concerned over.

>Great, then I guess you no longer object to the HTML stuff anymore?

    Hmmm...  Oh, right, you're the one with selective reading.  You forgot to
read, and quote, the part where I pointed out that HTML information is
significantly larger and is mostly duplicated information which serves no
value.

    Meanwhile the PGP stuff does serve a value, is not duplicate information,
and is realatively small.  For example, your message, which is 5K, would only
grow by 4% with the inclusion of a PGP signature from a ~5120 to a whopping
~5330.  Meanwhile, the same message in HTML, would go from ~5120 to over
~12288, or an approximate growth of 140%.  Do you see the difference here, do
you grasp the concept?

>list by other members.  (BTW, have you ever given any thought to the
>number of cases of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome which are being aggravated by
>the scrolling required to deal with the 16 additional lines that your
>signature and PGP stuff add to each of your messages?)

    I never see it.  Let's see, carpal tunnel aggrivation from stuff that is
hidden.  None.  From one extra space or PgDn, ooooh, over the course of a
lifetime that might equate to nothing as well.

>>    The difference is, here you're being an asshole as this block of text
>>serves no purpose.  The PGP signature does serve a purpose.

>Only a moron would label someone an "asshole" for creating such a
>brilliant piece of parody.

    No.  A moron would label someone an "Asshole" for creating a brilliant
piece of parody when said person is in the right.  You are not.  You're
clearly and utterly in the wrong.  Only an asshole would try to mock his way
out of an arguement.

- --