PGP signatures

Steve Lamb PMMAIL Discussion List <PMMAIL-L@VM.EGE.EDU.TR>
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 09:27:44 -0700

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999 00:24:05 -0700, Kris Sorem Sr wrote:

>>    As for why I do it, an analogy is in order.

>I think the analogy could be a little more accurate.

    Not really, it was accurate for how I use it, for how many of the people
who use PGP use it, and how many of the people who want to make
signing/encrypting the standard, not the exception, describe it.

>Actually, signing a letter or postcard personalizes it. The recipient,
>unless a handwriting expert, has no way of knowing whether the signature
>is valid for the individual represented. In this respect, it is not a
>reassurance.

    On the other hand, if it is completely off, they know it isn't from the
individual in question.

>Actually, letters provide more space to write than do postcards.

    No, they don't.  In the theoretical world where everyone uses postcards,
who says the postcard isn't larger.  The point was the envelope versus
non-envelope.

>IMO, the equivalent of this in the paper world would be: write a letter,
>sign the letter, have the letter notarized, put it in an envelope, seal
>the envelope with a tamper proof seal, and send it by certified or
>registered mail. This really isn't necessary for all correspondence that
>you send to someone else.

    No.  To do all of that in the electronic world you would also have a VPN
over an SSH pipe on a secure, clear channel point to point line.

>Yes, but do you do you have that thank you letter notarized to verify your
>signature and then send it in a tamper proof sealed envelope?

    No, and I don't have the electronic one sent over a VPN on an SSH pipe on
a clear channel, point to point line, either.  You're mistaking PGP for the
pinnicle of electronic security for information.  It is not.  It is one of
the most basic which isn't laughable.

>Like I said earlier, I really don't care. I'm just pointing out the
>disparity in how electronic and paper correspondence are handled. This
>disparity leads to objections on the part of some individuals .

    No.  Their ignorance to the medium and the possible ways of exchanging
information, thus giving them an incomplete basis for comparison leads them
to object.

- --