PGP & TAB

Winfried Tilanus PMMAIL Discussion List <PMMAIL-L@VM.EGE.EDU.TR>
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 08:43:03 +0000

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:39:17 -0400, Jonathan B. Bayer wrote:

>Why not?  We can't EXPORT it, but what says that we can't Import it?

You are right.

But two things play a role here:

1) US export restrictions on strong encryption generaly. A product that
is only under this rule may not be exported from the US but it may be
imported. The 128 bit encryption versions of the Netscape Navigator for
OS/2 are an example of this: When you are outside the US, you can't
download them from IBM, but when you are in the US, it is legal to
download them from replay in the Netherlands.
2) Patent / copyright issues. Because of the US patent on the RSA
algorithms, you may only use it in the US after paying a fee.

So it is illegal in the US to use an international version of pgp with
RSA encryption without paying a license fee.

Best wishes,
Winfried

http://web.inter.NL.net/users/Winfried/