PGP Signature and Melissa Stuff

Ralph Cohen PMMAIL Discussion List <PMMAIL-L@VM.EGE.EDU.TR>
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 01:12:27 -0400

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 10:26:34 +0200, Joerg Bencke wrote:

>About encrypting making sense in business only :
>If only such mail is envelpoed, the wrong people might get nosy and try to
>setup a trojan at your computer to catch the secret key file. Cracking
>that is possible, so from then on, they read your enc. stuff cause it is
>important (It gotta be, after all, its encrypted).
>
>Ohh, this trojan already exists in different versions out in the net.

Josch,

If encrypting certain groups of messages could cause attention to be
paid to them by the "wrong people" who might set up a trojan, etc. to
grab your secret key file, then why would encrypting all your messages
make you less of a target?  I would imagine that in most cases, the
targets of email interception are chosen before consideration is given
to what if any encryption they may use.  As you pointed out, even if
encryption is encountered there are ways around it.

Ralph Cohen

rpcohen@neurotron,com