problem was: (null)

Kris Sorem Sr PMMAIL Discussion List <PMMAIL-L@VM.EGE.EDU.TR>
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 23:59:51 -0700

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999 20:43:04 +0200, Alexander Sarras wrote:

>My problem is _NOT_ null-subject-messages sent by me, but those I
>_receive_! Sorting by subject get's a lot of different things mixed up.

PMMail does check for null subjects because the folder index file gets
updated with the value '(null)'. I think this is what you mean by "a lot
of different things mixed up" since sorting by subject will put all these
messages together regardless of the messages' content. I doubt that any
email client including PMMail will provide a convenient way to alter
original incoming messages. Only the sender knew what the subject should
have said. An email client can't second guess the sender.

One option you have is:
1. Filter all incoming messages for null subject and move them to a
special folder.
2. Manually edit the subject of each message in that special folder.
3. Delete the folder index file and reindex. (If you don't do this the
index file will not show the new subject)
4. Filter the messages to where they belong. ( This means making all your
incoming filters manual filters also except null filter).

This is not very convenient but you need to view the message in edit mode
to determine what the subject should say and change it.
--
ATB,
/s/~Kris