Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 17:00:22 -0700

Monday, August 23, 1999, 4:07:37 PM, Paul wrote:
> Hardly. It might be an abbreviation, but it isn't slang. And it is such
> a common word these days, that the longer form has almost passed into
> history.

    Granted that M-W lists it as being first in print in 1927 I do not
consider it anything but slang.  Refrigerator has been in use in my circles
for the majority of my life and fridge has always been regarded as slang.
Now, south of the Mason/Dixon line, where slang is often all that is spoken,
that may not be the case.  Fortunately, English is not restricted to such a
limited and poorly chosen subset of words.