"New Mail Check" is broken

John Drabik pmmail@rpglink.com
Sun, 29 Aug 99 21:47:35

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 11:36:27 -0700 (PDT), Bill Wood wrote:

>Well, it might be an network problem. I haven't a clue
>why the problem occurs in my case, but it does,
>virtually without fail, and has for as long as I can
>remember. It may well be that my ISP's mail server
>hangs up in the middle of a log on,........
More than likely, your ISP is pop-locking your account, and it can't
recover.  I've seen this happen on NT Server quite regularly, but it
isn't an NT-specific thing.  Still, ask your ISP - if they're using
NT, you're likely to encounter the problem.

As for "a reasonable workaround is to try again", that won't work -
once your account is POP-locked, the lock won't reset until you log
off of the system and wait some specified period of time, usually
several hours.  This is a server side problem, and if the client
can't get the attention of the server, then there is nothing the
client can do to fix the problem.

John