HTMLised email

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 13:33:19 +0000 (GMT)

>I am not too sure about the driving analogy; these days the Internet tends to
>evolve and RFCs follow the event. A classic example of this is frames in
>browsers.

A classic example of MS and NS trying to "embrace and extend" HTML
standards to capture market share at the expense of interoperability
you mean!

>That's true - the thing is still evolving but as I said above I have yet to receive
>a HTML e-mail that PMmail can't read.

>I feel no pain. PMmail makes legible everything that anybody a has so far
>sent me.

This statement demonstrates the problem well - you assume that what your
email package (or browser) does, must work ok with other people's ("I'm alright,
 Jack"). The fact the MS dominates the "ignorant computer user sector" makes
this problem worse, but that's another story).  The standards are there to
ensure interoperability, PMMail/2000 and MS mail products amonst others
now *default* to extended behaviour beyond the "rules of the road". How
can such users be expected to know that they are driving badly when
that is the default configuration?

>>Some companies are trying to remove the "inter" for "internet"!
>
>I really don't think this is true but it is probably  true that Microsoft is more
>important in setting Internet standards than those that compose RFCs.

That cheered me up! Excuse we while I fall's about laughing!

Regards

Simon Bowring