Colored Backgrounds

Cristian Secara pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:03:33 +0200

On Sun, 12 Dec 1999 21:14:37 +0100, Anders Gjerl v wrote:

>Hmm - I maybe didn't state my problem clearly enough, or am missing a
>some basic sense of humour (in which case I ask you to forgive me).

I'm sorry, I think I forgot to put a ":)" :)
I found myself very amused about the idea someone will download a .pdf
file with a mobile phone ... your example was about low rate with such
devices (9.6k) and usual .pdf files are ~300k.

>some people actually do check their pop accounts while on the road or
>at meetings etc. from a mobile phone. The "bandwith" is *low*, and
>therefore it's a good idea to give them a chance to see that you've
>replied to their e-mail, and then they can - next time they're at their [...]

I have myself an e-mail service active on my GSM phone.
Except that I configured it to merely informs me about the incoming
messages. The incoming message is truncated in maximum of 3 SMS units
(150 or 160 characters each, don't know exactly); if the message is
bigger, the rest of it is ignored.
This way, one can send 1M single message, my mobile phone will only
receive the first ~3*150 bytes of effective information.
When I then have time and how, I will get the whole message(s) the
usual way.

>(oops - sometimes they use thier mobiles as the modem, so they
>still have very slow connection!!)

If the person always need that document, it makes no difference if the
document is downloaded via www (ftp) or as e-mail attachment (except of
course the overhead of the MIME encoding).

>The point is, it will be done when they _choose_ to do it, not
>when you choose to send it.

Probably you are right.
However, if the person is worried about the size of its e-mails and if
PMMail is the mailer used :), then his account may be inspected using
remote control.

Best wishes,
	Cristi