Colored Backgrounds

Michael Lightfoot pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:31:31 +1100

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 01:35:12 -0400 (AST), Trevor Smith wrote:

>I and a few others (probably very few others) feel it is important to
>wonder where the electricity comes from. It's the first step in
>making sure that there will always be more. The second step is
>acknowledging that it's not unlimited and attempting to use what we
>have efficiently.

Hear, hear!!

Part of the problem is the unfortunate attitude of the technologically
privileged who just don't understand what a shortage is.

I worked for a few months for the Australian Dept of Immigration
supporting systems in overseas posts.  I came to understand what a
lucky person I am to live in the first world when confronted by the
necessity to shut systems down at certain times of the day because of
power rationing in the (capital) cities of several countries; or the
horror that is the New Delhi phone system where new phone lines are
almost impossible to obtain, even by Embassies; or the absolute
impossibility of dealing with data connections between Ho Chi Minh City
and Hanoi.

------
Michael Lightfoot
SysIX Unix Systems Consulting
P.O. Box 155				Ph	61 2 6258 8185
CHARNWOOD  ACT  2615		Fax	61 2 6258 1945

michael.lightfoot@canb.auug.org.au	ftpmaster@tip.net.au
http://www.tip.net.au/~michal