Colored Backgrounds

Anders Gjerløv pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 16:41:17 +0100

>The company that supplies my  electricity frequently sends me circulars urging
>me to buy appliances which will use more of the stuff. However this is not
>probably a good parallel with Internet bandwidth even though I suggested it in
>the first place.
WHAT!?!?!? In this country (Denmark) you get discounts for exchanging
ie. old refrigerators with newer models that use *less* electricity.
Who's giving the discounts? The companies supplying the power!!! They
_want_ consumers to spend less electricity. They _want_ to reduce the
power needed to run the country - thereby giving everybody a better
supply. Bandwith issues are the same!! The less you use (though use
what you must), the better the service you can expect!

Accept it as a fact. The less cars driving on the street the easier it
is for you to get around quickly. This is simple logic :-/

>It is suggested that if I use more electricity more fossil fuel will be burnt and the
>planet will get warmer.
>
>I don't suppose an increase in Internet bandwidth well have much effect on the
>climate and the materials necessary to manufacture servers and optical fibre are
>not about to become exhausted.
Right - I'm completly aware of the new and improved M$ Internet routers
and switches that do not require a single watt to transmit IP packages.
They absolutly fantasic. Soon the technique will be found in M$car,
M$home and m$business, and thereby completly eliminate the power needed
by these objects today!! :->

Sorry to be a pessimist, but I have yet to see *one single positive
thing* come out of ignoring the fact that there are resources that are
_not_ infininate. Bandwith, power, water whatever. The argument is the
same!

>It seems to me that the amount of Internet bandwidth we can have is essentially
>limited only by the willingness to fund it and its provision has no ecological
>impact.
Really - look at the bigger picture. . .

Regards,
Anders

Toggle the fug!