Colored Backgrounds

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:07:17 -0800

Monday, December 13, 1999, 9:10:02 AM, Trevor wrote:
> I agree, I can't see any reason why we will "run out of" bandwidth in
> the future either.

    Power restrictions, CPU restrictions, NIC restrictions, route
restrictions.  There are a ton of different reasons why it might be the case.
What we call "bandwidth" is really a measurement of something that doesn't
exist.  It is a measurement of all of those factors, and more.  Any of them
can cause a reduction in the available bandwidth.  Unlike other resources such
as power, water, food, fuel, etc bandwidth cannot be stored for later use.

> So, maybe because people feel like there's "more than enough"
> bandwidth and feel that there is no good reason not to gobble it up
> with useless embellishments, I and others get files from some site in
> California at 35kB/s or 45kB/s or whatever instead of 70kB/s or
> 150kB/s. I'm making the numbers up but hopefully you see the point.
> The bandwidth is *not* unlimited. The more one person uses the less
> another person can use. Multiply that by 20 million people.

    Bingo.  In case anyone wonders what type of bandwidth I use for my private
network (rpglink.com is a part of that entity) they can look at
<http://death.rpglink.com/mrtg/>.