Colored Backgrounds

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:12:30 -0400 (AST)

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 20:43:23 -0600 (CST), John Thompson wrote:

>Leaving aside for the moment the naivity that allows you to think
>abstractions such as "money" can remove inherent physical limitations,
>don't you think that throwing money at the problem is rather an elitist
>approach?  What about the countries that barely have enough money to
>provide appropriate physical infrastructure to meet only the most basic
>food and shelter needs of their populations?  Is it just "too bad, so sad"

Good point. Reading an article which paraphrased a keynote speach by
IBM's "head visionary" (VP of Internet products or something like
that) it was noted that if you look at the # of people on the 'net
compared to the world population as a whole, the % rounds off to
zero. Also noted and relative to this conversation maybe is the
"fact" (who knows the source or validity) that the # of people online
is doubling every 4 months, bandwidth is only doubling every 9
months.

As always these things are just words spoken by a VP somewhere. Take
from them what you will.

>*FIREWOOD* for cooking and heating.  That's right, even now at the end of
>the 20th century the vast majority of the earth's human population still
>relies on wood fires for their heating and cooking needs!

<sarcasm>
Bah! Firewood is not limited. Firewood is INFINITE! Just cut down
more rainforest and ship it to those people who need cooking fires.
There's plenty of good hardwood there!
</sarcasm>

 Trevor Smith          | We've got a blind date with destiny,
 trevor@haligonian.com | and it looks like she's ordered
 www.haligonian.com    | the lobster.         - The Shoveler