Wish List Another Beginning

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 08:58:20 -0800

Friday, December 17, 1999, 8:49:24 AM, Jonathan wrote:
> I get over a hundred messages a day, sometimes more.

    I get over 600 between two accounts.  That is 3x the volume on 2x the
servers.

> This problem happens to me about once a week, when I can't get a great phone
> connection to my isp, and I lose messages in the evening and have to reload.

    I'd recommend looking at the phone line then.  Even when I was on phone
service I never had that bad of a track record.  If I did I'd be doing
everything I could to improve it since a track record like that means you're
also suffering in other areas.

> Also, it has even happened to me at work, when our network decided to be
> very slow and the connections just timed out on the ISP side.

    A network doesn't "decide" to be slow.  Something causes it.  If you're
having problems on what is, in all honesty, a very simple connection then
you've got serious problems on that network and need to fix it, not all the
individual clients.

> While I haven't seen the inside of PMMail, I have seen the insides of
> other mailers, and being a professional developer I can say that it
> isn't a great deal of work.

    Yet you hadn't thought of the purging issue.  What other issues are you
and I forgetting?  Sure, programming what you have in mind is easy, no
questions.  Contorting it around what the real world requires is an entirely
different matter.