Wish List Another Beginning

Atomic Frog pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:41:34 -0800 (PST)

> >Given the format of SMTP commands, this should be done as "download 1,
> >delete 1 ... download 2, delete 2 ..."  Not even "a few" but as it
> >downloads them - immediately after that, delete them.  (They are simply
> >*marked* for deletion until the connection is severed)
>
> OK, here's a question:
>
> If messages are marked for deletion on a POP3 server and no QUIT
> command ever comes (because the connection was dropped), are they
> still marked for deletion the next time you connect? If so, why not
> just look for this state and not download them again?

Okay, as shown by lack of knowledge on using OS/2 and PMMail/2, despite
several years worth of experience, I'm probably off again...

I have a limit (on some accounts) on the size of my incoming mailbox.

My problem with both the POP3 servers is that...I can't really mark
messages for deletion. I mean I can delete messages that I download, on my
end, of course. Messages that are marked for deletion are _probably_ not
downloaded. Which is great for me, except that the mailbox starts to get
huge. Luckily, I can telnet in to a command line and go delete them with
Pine. (Server is a Sun box).

On my other account, I have no such luxury, so I can't check on "Leave
messages on server".

Is IMAP the same? When I access using Netscape, it doesn't actually delete
it....I have to go in with Outlook...(yes, it's a stupid Exchange server).

Isaac