PGP problems with PMMail 2000 Pro

Brian Morrison pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:26:55

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:05:16, Brian Morrison wrote:

>OK, I am having some difficulties with PMMail 2000 Pro.
>
>I have two keys, one is RSA, the other DH. I am trying to send a test
>message to myself. I believe that PMMail should encrypt using my public
>key.
>
>However, I want to use my DH key, but the address book security tab
>shows my RSA key, and when I turn off implicit trust the validity
>changes from complete to invalid. I can't display the DH key details at
>all and when I try to encrypt I get an 'invalid public key operation'
>error message.
>
>If I make this key disabled, I seem to be able to encrypt, I think it
>must use my DH key in this case. Am I correct in thinking that this
>version of the PGP SDK cannot encrypt using RSA keys? I don't really
>know what is going on here, I use PGP 5.0i for OS/2 at home, it can
>handle both key types.

Right, I have now tried a few more tests. It appears that I cannot
encrypt to anyone who has an RSA key using this version of the PGP SDK.
In addition, if the person also has one or more DH keys that are not
the first key for that address on the key ring, it is not possible to
select which key should be used or to view the information about any
key other than the first one found on the key ring.

This may be a limitation in the PGP SDK, but if it isn't it looks like
it needs some work on fixing it. Rather disappointing to find that I
can't use RSA keys that I have been using happily for some time now :-(

              do you know how far this has gone?
               just how damaged have I become?
                                      'Even Deeper' by Nine Inch Nails