PGP problems with PMMail 2000 Pro

Bill McCarthy pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 22:13:54 -0500

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 08:08:53 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>Wednesday, December 22, 1999, 7:34:59 AM, Brian wrote:
>> However, what do you do when someone else uses 2.6.3i and can't
>> change?  PMMail/2 and PGP 5.0i can get around this, surely it is
>> just a matter of compiling the SDK with the RSAREF library linked
>> in isn't it?
>
>    s/can't/won't/

I prefer the following so I don't miss any:

   :%s/\<can't\>/won't/gc

>I am not aware of a platform that supports 2.6.3i that doesn't have a
>5.x series available.  With the recent change in US crypto export
>laws there are even less barriers.  Given the recent overflows found
>in the RSAREF libraries I think it it time for the few remaining
>holdouts to realize it is time to get out of the '80s.

AFAIK CPunk and Mix Chaining remailers as well as most Nym operations
don't support PGP 5 along all hops.  Also, a 2047 bit PGP 2.62 key is
still pretty secure.  New releases of PGP and SDKs may contain back
doors.  I'll stick with 2.62 until the new standard emerges.

Bill