PGP problems with PMMail 2000 Pro

Bill McCarthy pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 23:08:21 -0500

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 19:21:47 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>The security argument is bogus.  Have you looked through the lines of
>code that you, I assume, compiled yourself or did you trust someone
>else?  I'm betting the latter.

You assume the former but bet the latter? <g>

I downloaded the full thing, including the source.  You lose - I
compiled it myself.  I also use SLRN as my newsreader, which I also
compile along with S-LANG - only because I don't like to wait for
someone else to do it (J.E. Davis only distributes the .tar.gz
source).

Yes, I did study the code.  But I know enough not to rely on myself.
I trusted the author and those experts that analyzed the code.

>Why, then, do you not trust the 5.x series that have been peer
>reviewed in the same manner?

The 5.x series is massive.  I doubt there has been anywhere near the
scrutiny that 2.6.x received.

Bill