Netscape integration

Gary Granat pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 01 Jul 1999 09:39:47 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 17:26:18 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>>proivde me with an editor that would fulfill 99.999% of my email needs.
>
>    Your email needs.  Here people are talking powerful yet will settle for
>crap in the editor.  I don't get it.

Something bothers me -- a lot -- about this discussion on integration
vs modularity.  Let's not lose sight of the fact that for better or for
worse, PMMail is an application that runs across several different
platforms with considerably different design philosophies.  It is all
well and good to wish for things like a better interface to integrate
an external editor.  That is something that should go into the
requirements bucket.  But, the basic job of any editor is to provide a
way to get text into the environment is a way that is basically useful.
 The editor in PMMail isn't your whizbang full-feature programming
editor, but it does the basic editing job and does it fairly well.
And, there is something to be said for being able to get assistance for
any problem with an application from a single source.

Perhaps modularization is a great objective.  But, it isn't here, yet,
in PMMail and flogging that horse -- repeatedly -- won't make it happen
any quicker.  The issue of support can't be ignored in a modular
environment, and that environment becomes orders of magnitude more
complex when one is dealing with the idiosyncracies of several,
mutually exclusive, platforms, each of which has a significant suite of
potential modules to be plugged into the basic application framework.
How to support that sort of a kludge has to be factored into the
equation early on or it won't work for beans.

--gary
ggranat@ibm.net