GAAAA!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!

Chris Adams pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 01 Jul 1999 16:49:58 -0700

On Thu, 01 Jul 1999 16:00:25 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>>There are others around here and yes, most of us thought we were too
>>young to be curmudgeons as well. Just be thankful you aren't doing tech
>>support for WebTV.
>
>    Been there, done that.  2.5 years of tech support at a local ISP, another
>6 months as postmaster, partial tech at the same place.  I paid my dues.

Sounds like it. ATSR has made me very, very, very glad I've never been in
tech support. I just have to keep telling myself that I'm getting the
*smarter* users.

>>nazi-like verification script - this beast will actually contact their
>>mail host and verify the email address before continuing.  The lusers
>>made me do it! <evil grin>)
>
>    I hope you realize a lot of places no longer honor VRFY as it can be used
>for a spam address culling technique.

Quite aware of it. In this case I just send the "Welcome to the list"
email directly. If the server doesn't return an error, it adds them.
Throw in some timeouts and error checking and we're all set...
PGP Public Key Fingerprint: A39A 4042 4421 7B02  6A94 0347 D46E 8234