Fwd: Re: formatting and addresses

Bill Wood pmmail@rpglink.com
Sat, 03 Jul 1999 07:28:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 01 Jul 1999 15:09:27 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Jul 1999 15:02:42 -0700 (PDT), Bill Wood wrote:
>
>>There are some readers that don't reflow properly but most do,
including PMMail. I've spent a fair amount of time looking into this.

>    And you missed this, and my point.
>
>>BTW, checkout the paragraphs of mine in this msg and see if they
reflow at your read-window boundary. Try changing the window size.

>    See, I'm not changing the quoting here.  I get one quote line
per line of
>text even if your text is 20 lines long.  Proper quoting would be
like below.

>>There are some readers that don't reflow properly but most do,
including
>>PMMail. I've spent a fair amount of time looking into this.
>
>>BTW, checkout the paragraphs of mine in this msg and see if they
reflow at
>>your read-window boundary. Try changing the window size.
>
>    See the difference now?  By not wrapping at all most mail
clients will not
>*QUOTE* properly because it is one, excessively long line.
Furthermore,
>anyone on a terminal mail client will not see since they generally
do not wrap
>lines as they assume you meant it that way for whatever reason.
>
>    By setting it to wrap at reflow three things happen:
>
>1: You actually are wrapping your text instead of just making one
big line.
>You could get that with no-wrapping turned on.
>
>2: You're conforming to the internet standard of text being 72-78
characters
>in length.  People can quote you more effectively.
>
>3: If people have larger windows, they aren't going to complain.  If
people
>have smaller windows, that is their tough luck as they have no leg
to stand
>on.  They can up their screen resolution, increase window size.
Meanwhile,
>people who are trying to do the right thing (quote properly, adhere
>internet standards) have the moral high ground.
>

>- --
>         Steve C. Lamb         | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink,
I'm your
>         ICQ: 5107343          | main connection to the switchboard
of souls.
>-
-------------------------------+-------------------------------------
--------

==============

Actually, I do understand your point. I guess I don't understand the
importance of the quoting. I usually don't answer email a couple of
lines at a time. It's just not my way.

Be that as it may, I do believe that if you want to fit inside of
people's readers on a 3-sigma basis you'd better use something
shorter than 72 characters. When I send hard wrapped msgs I use 56
characters.

w3

Bill Wood
5268 Drifting Dunes Dr