Netscape integration (or whither Southsoft ?)

John Drabik pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 05 Jul 99 09:43:14

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 09:44:56 +0100, David Gaskill wrote:

>>Just what is going on with this outfit?
>You mention promised updates but, it to be honest, it is difficult to see the commercial rationale
>for such work. I use the Windows version of PMmail because I originally used OS/2 but when
>IBM abandoned the desktop to Microsoft I had no alternative but to move NT. I continued to
>use PMmail because I was familiar with it and it does everything I want but I have never come
>across a anybody this using the mailer  who hadn't migrated from OS/2.

Personally, I've found plenty of "alternative" to NT, since NT is so
bloated, slow, and incompatible.  If that is the kind of software
that you like, then why are you concerned about PMMail (small, fast,
and adheres to standards)?  MOVE ON.

Yet-another-Doze-lover spilling puke about "OS/2 is dead".  If it's
dead for you, then fine.  In the meantime, there are many people here
who still use it.  Just because you allowed yourself to be sucked in
with the pablum lovers, please don't assume that everybody is as
weak-minded.

OS/2 continues to improve, work is still being done, and new versions
released, the performance is better than NT (by light years), the
operational cost is far lower, and OS/2 doesn't trap you in the
"standards du jour" crapola from Microsoft - a company that still, in
my opinion, has never successfully engineered ANY operating system.
DOS?  Hah.  Doze? It IS DOS, and just as bad.  NT?  Not There.  2000?
 Yeah, right.

>Microsoft operating systems come with a perfectly serviceable mail client; I don't like it but then
>I don't like anything that isn't PMmail.

Their "perfectly serviceable mail client" is a piece of bogus garbage
that doesn't follow standards.  It is error prone, subject to
crashes, and invites viruses in faster than a Las Vegas hooker.
You're here on the PMMail list and *seriously* comparing Outlook to
PMMail?  Get lost.

>The list seems to be mostly populated by users of OS/2 who, however much they might wish it
>was otherwise,  are  an ever decreasing group.

I have yet to see evidence of this, nothing other than the wishful
dreams of Dozers.  A trip to the Large Client list might enlighten
you.  Or, stick around for Doze2000 and it will "en-lighten" your
wallet for you if you prefer.  45 million lines of KERNEL code, and
fools call it "acceptable".  Talk about bloat, and ripe with
opportunites to crash all over the place, this time, undermining one
of the few decent points about NT, namely, the protected kernel
(which, curiously, appears to be copied from OS/2 - so what does that
tell you about Microsoft's ability to engineer a product).  That's an
awful lot of bloat just to get NT ready to play games - which is the
biggest reason for Doze2000.

>I think if I was Bob or Icon I would be looking to do things other than write mail clients for an
>operating system that is effectively history or trying to complete with products that are being
>given away in the only desktop market there is .

Then what the hell are you doing here?  Oh, I see - you haven't
figured out how to unsubscribe.  Maybe Bob and Icon believe in a
quality product.  I've been using PMMail for years, without
complaint.  Pablum suckers don't understand that.

As Microsoft shills go, you've barely registered on the entertainment
meter.

John