Netscape integration (or whither Southsoft ?)

Cristian Secara pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 09 Jul 1999 06:50:56 +0300

On Mon, 05 Jul 99 09:43:14, John Drabik wrote:

>[...] If that is the kind of software
>that you like, then why are you concerned about PMMail (small, fast,
>and adheres to standards)? MOVE ON.

Small ? Yes.
Fast ? No. It is ridiculous slow on my 333 K6-2 CPU. I'm speaking about
the Win version, not OS/2.
Outlook Express, the application you hate so much, is *really* faster
when comparing to PMMail.
Fact, not opinion.

>OS/2 continues to improve,

I still have Warp 4 on a partition and the only improvement I can see
are new bugs introduced with every new fixpak (see the last MIDI.SYS
problem on fixpak 11, read warpcast #122).
The improvement was so great that I am no more able to use few DOS apps
since fixpak 6 or 7 (DOS apps that uses .WAVs).

>You're here on the PMMail list and *seriously* comparing Outlook to
>PMMail? Get lost.

Seems you never [seriously] used (or evaluated) Outlook Express.
Like it or not, it *is* a good mail client and it's free, ready-to-use.
How about a comparison between Outlook Express and Ultimail Lite ? Try
installing OS/2 from scratch and 5 minutes after install check for your
mail. Can you ? I personally cannot. Must use (buy) InJoy. Must use
Netscape or use (buy) PMMail.

Both OE and PMMail have some bugs.
Both OE and PMMail have some limitations.
The point is one must know what best fit his wishes. This, however, is
a dificult task, because it is *very* time consuming.
How many of this list have ever tried more than one other mail client,
then saying 'hm, Pegasus is ..., Eudora is ..., The Bat is ..., PMMail
is ..., Outlook Express is ..., Outlook (MS Office) is ..., Netscape is
.., conclusion - the best I found was PMMail' ?

>(which, curiously, appears to be copied from OS/2 - so what does that
>tell you about Microsoft's ability to engineer a product).

OS/2 interface design was copied from Mac. So what ?

>Then what the hell are you doing here? Oh, I see - you haven't
>figured out how to unsubscribe. Maybe Bob and Icon believe in a
>quality product.

Sure they did.
This is what Robert Novitskey wrote one day:
===
Well if Qualcomm *does* decide to kill Eudora, make sure to let the
world know about PMMail :).  I do suspect, however, if that does
happen, most people will switch to Outlook Express (IMHO, a very nice
client) :(
===

Best wishes,
        Cristi