Netscape integration (or whither Southsoft ?)

Brian Morrison pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 09 Jul 1999 13:16:42 +0100

On Fri, 09 Jul 1999 15:02:29 +0300, Cristian Secara wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Jul 1999 02:13:03 -0400 (EDT), Ralph Cohen wrote:
>
>>PMMail/2 works quickly here on my PII-333 although I haven't used the
>>Windows version.
>
>PMMail98 appears to be slower than its counterpart PMMail/2 when
>opening messages larger than, approx, 15k. At the time I started to use
>Windows I kept one common partition (FAT16) and used both PMMail
>version sharing the same message database. The OS/2 version ran
>practically lightspeed while the Windows version was incredible slow.
>Nothing changed up now, at least at the Windows side.
>The Windows version has HTML support, perhaps the text reading routines
>are slow by this cause. Strange thing, it is slow even if the message
>is a text-only one.

I asked Icon about this last year. He replied that the Win95 threading
was seriously broken in comparison with OS/2. Two days ago I had mail
with a 290k text document included in the body as text. In PMMail 98,
it took nearly a minute to open, and then truncated the body to about
one fifth of its correct size. The same mail in PMMail/2 took less than
three seconds to open, and was there in its entirety.

Granted, OS/2 is not all sweetness and light (I get a trap D every time
I try to use Java 1.1.7), but all my software investment is in OS/2
programs. I only have a copy of PMMail 98 so I can use my home email
account when at work. I find it way better than Outlook 98 or Outlook
Express, but that's a personal preference and can't be relied on.

 'The village populace is jumpin' on faces, catchin' the javelin,
 Headin' the shot.' [FX: wet thud - "Oooo.."]