PMMail 2.00.015 - Automatic To: field completion

Brian Morrison pmmail-l@musthave.com
Mon, 07 Jun 1999 15:51:51 +0100

On Mon, 07 Jun 1999 07:39:47 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Jun 1999 14:11:44 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:
>
>>Why do you get typos? I find that the auto address simply matches up to
>>the characters I have already typed, once I type another character it
>>clears or changes. That is using a P233MMX, so it isn't a speedy
>>machine as such.
>
>    Brian.  A P233MMX *is* a speedy machine.  The machine I was running the
>list off for that one day, which was handling it nicely, was a 486DX4-100.  I
>don't know why people think that anything less than 1-2 generations off the
>top of the line isn't "speedy."  Aside from games and server work in small
>ISP high end CPUs are just a marketing ploy.  :)

OK, I have never seen this kind of behaviour, even when I ran the
PMMail 98 flavour on a P100 under Win95. My OS/2 system at home is
faster than that, and I have SCSI disks and lots of memory (to avoid
these kinds of problems in fact)

>    As for his problem, I've seen it as well.  What happens is that you'll
>type, 2-3 characters, on the 2nd one it matches, on the 3 it displays but the
>3rd is at the end and it doesn't erase.  It happens when the machine is
>"slow" (GRRRR), heavily loaded, swapping out for memory, accessing the disk
>for any reason, etc.

Maybe one solution is to delete the addr.mru file before starting
PMMail. But we could request a selectable option for this via the beta
list. I was pleased to see the new beta too!

 'The village populace is jumpin' on faces, catchin' the javelin,
 Headin' the shot.' [FX: wet thud - "Oooo.."]