Proper threading?

Dr. Martin R. Hadam pmmail-l@musthave.com
Tue, 08 Jun 1999 10:59:44 +0100

On Tue, 08 Jun 1999 01:22:21 -0600 (MST), Doug McKibbin wrote:

>I'm currently sorting by Subject, Date/Time of Message,
>Date/Time Received.  I've tried various orders, but none
>produces the accurate timeline of a thread.  If anyone
>has this working, please share the secret.

 if you choose Date/Time of Message, you'll be dependent on the clock
settings of the sender - if he's set it back one year, it will also be
reflected in your thread. Hence Date/Time Received seems to create the
most likely sequence of events.

 What I find MUCH more annoying is the influence of the "READ STATUS"
property. I'd like to see all my new mail on top of the list for
immediate access. Yet all the read ones and my own replies should sort
*correctly* into the subject thread.

 Currently all the replied-to ones and my own replies are separated
from the remainder of the (eventfree) subjects. To get proper threading
on subjects, currently I'm forced to scroll until I find yet another
new message say ten or more screens down. That's a real pain.

 What is badly needed imo is a separate "read status - new on top only"
Priority property which only honors the "unread" attribute (and
disregards the others).

 Martin R. Hadam
 Kinderklinik - Medizinische Hochschule
 D-30623 Hannover