Double Byte -- Also, PMMAIL2

Brian Morrison pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 16:03:13 +0100

On Wed, 23 Jun 99 09:28:17, S Zaveloff wrote:

>I am new to this list so please forgive me if these topics have been
>discussed before.
>
>I have two questions about PMMAIL for OS/2.
>
>1. Has anybody been able to get either of the double-byte utilities on
>the PMMAIL Web site to work? I downloaded both of them but couldn't
>figure out how to use either.

No, I have never tried either of these, I don't need them. Have you
asked the authors of the utilities?

>2. Right now I am using PMMAIL 1.92 (1.96 would not work properly on
>my system--it kept on freezing). I downloaded the trial version of
>PMMAIL 2 and used it for a while but the only significant difference that
>I noted was the addition of the preview window. Am I missing something?
>Is it worth spending the money to upgrade?

There was a rapid update of 1.96 to 1.96a, I don't know if that could
have been your problem if you had the original 1.96 version. I can't
now remember what the bug was, but I do recall there being a fairly
serious problem.

PMMail/2 2.0 has nearly all of the features of PMMail 98 on Win32, it
is a reasonable upgrade to the 1.9x series, adding support for PGP 5.0
and having a few extra features. The 2.1 upgrades are in beta at
present, I would guess that a release is on the cards in the next month
or two.

As far as the upgrade cost is concerned, if you wish to keep PMMail as
your main mail client, then the 2.0 series are being developed and
supported. Southsoft do state that they cannot support the older
versions; if a bug is fixed in 2.0 that is in 1.9x, their advice is
upgrade :-)

>(BTW. I sent both of these questions to support@pmmail.com but never
>received answers to either of them.)

The company has just relocated from Ohio to Seattle, that has slowed
them down a bit on dealing with mail.

 'The village populace is jumpin' on faces, catchin' the javelin,
 Headin' the shot.' [FX: wet thud - "Oooo.."]