IMAP?

Chris Adams pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:43:45 -0700

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 21:36:26 +0200 (CDT), Peter Lindeman wrote:

>>>Well, we are agreed on that then.
>>>
>>>What I'm wondering is why people are changing over to IMAP. Is this
>>>really necessary? DOes it really do a better job than POP3?
>>
>>     It's really nice if (like me) you access your mail from several
>>locations using multiple machines.
>
>What's the difference then between POP3 and IMAP ?

POP3 just holds messages until they've been retrieved, with no context
information. IMAP allows you to maintain folders on the server and track
things like read status, allowing you to have substantially the same view
of your mailbox from any IMAP client. If you want to leave mail on the
server for retrieval from multiple machines, IMAP is much cleaner.
PGP Public Key Fingerprint: A39A 4042 4421 7B02  6A94 0347 D46E 8234