IMAP?

Chris Adams pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:43:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:01:26 -0700, Marty Abrego wrote:

>>POP3 just holds messages until they've been retrieved, with no context
>>information. IMAP allows you to maintain folders on the server and track
>>things like read status, allowing you to have substantially the same view
>>of your mailbox from any IMAP client. If you want to leave mail on the
>>server for retrieval from multiple machines, IMAP is much cleaner.
>
>Seems to me that IMAP's "advantages" are largely irrelevant, given PM
>Mail's "remote control" feature.

Not at all *IF* you're looking at checking from multiple PCs. For the
volume of email I receive, going into the remote control to delete the
messages I don't want to retrieve elsewhere is cumbersome. I also believe
IMAP allows you to do things like store folder sort orders & other things
which aren't fun to keep in sync.