Fwd: Reducing disk usage?

Steven M. Scotten PMMAIL Discussion List <PMMAIL-L@VM.EGE.EDU.TR>
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 21:10:45 -0800

    >> None that I can recall.  And lately, I've had more reboots with
    >> one of my OS/2 boxes than I've had with 'doze.

    Steve Lamb> Liar.

Actually, he may not be. I used OS/2 for about five years (from the
release of 2.0 to just before the release of 4.0) on my home machine,
which was an IBM PS/VP preinstalled with OS/2. I had continuous
crashing and freezing problems with it that I never had with that
machine on Win95.

That's not my overall experience with OS/2, of course. On almost every
other OS/2 machine I've seen was rock solid. Win98 is more stable than
Win95 was, but I still crash roughly once per day. This even though
largely the only software I run on Windows (with occasional
exceptions) is an X server where I use Linux apps all day. Windows
goes down, Linux has been going continuously (mail server, web server,
memory-hogging user apps like Acrobat, Netscape, XEmacs, and
WordPerfect) for only 25 days because I did an intentional shutdown
when updating my kernal. I've never seen *that* level of stability out
of OS/2, although in general I found it to be very good.

Meaning? Not much, but hardware compatibility--even for hardware that
is supposed to be compatible with OS/2--has been the real bugbear of
OS/2 and it's certainly not inconceivable that an OS/2 installation
could crash a lot. I cried the day I uninstalled OS/2 and put on
Win95, but my IBM machine ran better from then on.

Linux has OS/2 beat hands down on stability and availability of
commercial applications, so I rarely even think back to the OS/2 years
anymore.

So, to bring this thread back on-topic, When do you suppose PMMail
will be available for Linux? Every day that passes I lean a little
closer to using VM for *all* my mail. Might come a day when I give up
waiting.

Steve (Yet Another Steve)