The Great "Hard Return" Debate

Marty Abrego pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 03 Nov 1999 22:52:02 -0700

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999 08:47:35 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>    And now, folks, a demonstration of a reflowing editor and why Bill's
>arguments are moot...

<snip>

>    Now witness the same block after one simple command in three editors that
>I am personally aware of...

<snip>

>    Now doesn't that look neater?  But wait, there's more!  Here's a
>demonstration of what Bill's message would look like if he had his way and
>there were no CRs...

<here I will paste directly from Steve's email, to avoid the quoting effects from PM Mail>

------
Wednesday, November 03, 1999, 7:12:55 AM, Bill wrote:
> No. Your are not missing anything at all. The only problem is that single
strings without HRts are messed with by the internet fabric for ancient
reasons for which I haven't grasped the technical justification.

------

>    Kinda ugly with only one quote mark, isn't it?

Yes, but not for the reason you mean.  See??  there are hard returns after "single" and "ancient".  Why is that?  If there weren't, it would have wrapped perfectly for whatever width I had my window set to.

                    \\|//
  Marty Abrego      (o o)                            photon@qnet.com
 ---------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo------------------------------------------
  Are you free?

  Do you own your body?  Can you prostitute yourself, sell your organs,
  or medicate yourself?  Do you own your labor?  Can you work for any
  wage you want, whatever hours you want, and keep the fruits of your
  sweat?

  Do you own your possessions?  Can the terms of your property ownership
  be changed at any time, or for any reason?  Can your property be taxed
  without limitation?

  Can you travel freely?  Must you carry identification papers for you
  and your property, submit to search without warrant, cause, or
  recourse?

  There is a spectrum upon which lie two endpoints.  One point is
  slavery, and at the other end:  FREEDOM.