Another New Feature Request

R. Kelley Cook pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 14:50:53 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999 11:04:36 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>    821 is dated 8/82 and is not being shown as being superceded by any other
>document.  Translation for the not-technical, a single-line paragraph is a bad
>idea for if it exceeds 1000 characters (~12 "lines") the SMTP should reject
>the message for having lines which are too long.  This is one standard I don't
>particularly care to see removed or revised.

Actually it will be very shortly my friend...

The replacements for 821/822 have been submitted.  You can check out
the precursor of them are draft-ietf-drums-smtpupd-10.txt &
draft-ietf-drums-msg-fmt-07.txt at
http://www.ietf.org/ids.by.wg/drums.html.  They will likely be
introduced as new RFCs before the end of the year.

These are both to make SMTP and the mail message format standards and
can only clarify confusion with them.  No new features are introduced.

In particular, the 998 octect + CR/LF per line limit remains.

 -- Kelley Cook