The Great "Hard Return" Debate

Ralph Cohen pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 22:38:37 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999 18:56:16 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>Thursday, November 04, 1999, 6:44:11 PM, Ralph wrote:
>> What could be a more obvious speciality for an editor in a mail program
>> to possess than the ability to properly reflow and format quotes?
>
>    To not have an editor at all since a mail program is for retrieval,
>reading and sending of mail.

I believe that the proper role of a mail program includes writing
messages as well as reading them.  PMMail appropriately has a built-in
editor for that purpose and it should properly handle routine email
editing tasks such as the properly reflowing and formatting quotes.  I
don't expect the editor to have the macros, hex editing and
highlighting functions that are included in some of my other text
editors, nor do I expect the PMMail message viewer to properly
display MSWord or other specially formatted documents.

>    I find it odd that people insist on several different editors to do the
>same basic task.
>
>news - vim
>mail - vim
>coding (perl, pascal, c, rc files, shell and a few others) - vim

I find it equally odd that some people find it preferable to use two or
three different programs to perform functions which should be
appropriately be performed within a single program.

What an odd group we are.. <g>

Ralph

rpcohen@neurotron.com