The Great "Hard Return" Debate

Darin McBride pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 05 Nov 1999 08:04:09 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999 20:19:32 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>> don't expect the editor to have the macros, hex editing and highlighting
>> functions that are included in some of my other text editors, nor do I
>> expect the PMMail message viewer to properly display MSWord or other
>> specially formatted documents.
>
>    Funny, I rather like the highlighting that vim provides for mail and news.
> It does not, however, display other specially formatted documents or does hex
>editing.  It is a text editor, nothing more.

Does VIM give you access to PMMail's address book?  The handiest part
of the email editor in PMMail, by far, to me, is its access to the
address book.  The second handiest part is its seamless integration of
file attachments - especially mime encoding (uucoding is easy in
comparison).

Unfortunately, generalised editors, for some *unknown* reason <sarcasm
dripping>, continue to fail in incorporating these essentials for
editing *this* type of text.

Due to this, I treat email as a different type of document from
straight text - marginally, but different.  And I want an editor that
can handle these differences ... vim can't, but PMMail's internal
editor can and does.