The Great "Hard Return" Debate

John Swartzentruber pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 05 Nov 1999 11:44:05 -0500

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999 08:16:18 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>    When you fire up PMMail and start a new message or reply to a message what
>do you get?  The message dialog.  I call it that because it isn't the editor,
>it just happens to *contain* the editor.  You've got the buttons up top, the
>to/cc/bcc/subject dialogs, the attachment area below.  That text entry box
>between the subject and the attachment area is the editor.  ONLY that area is
>the editor.

What Steve says is correct, and I think he points out the main reason
why using an external editor isn't acceptable to most users. Until
there is an easy standard way for people to plug components into a
window together, it won't be what most people will want. We're getting
closer to that point, but aren't there as a general rule. Heck, I'd
like to plug a pane into the window that contains the text of the
message that I'm replying to. It wouldn't be part of the editor, but it
would be part of a unified message sending window.

John L. Swartzentruber		jswartz@rica.net
Primatech Inc.			Harrisonburg, Virginia