The Great "Hard Return" Debate

David Gaskill pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 05 Nov 1999 17:57:18

On Fri, 05 Nov 1999 08:23:39 -0500, Jonathan B. Bayer wrote:

>Go to www.vim.org and download the two files:
>     gvim55.zip
>     vim55rt.zip
>
>Then unzip them into the top level directory you want the program to
>live.  The unpack will create a "vim" directory.  Finally, cd into the
>directory:
>
>     vim\vim55
>
>and run the "install" program.  It will be a text program, you will
>have to answer a few questions.
>
>Hope this helps.  If you can't get the files let me know and I will put
>them up in an easy-to-get location for a day or so.  Total size of both
>files is less than 2 meg.

Jonathan,

Many thanks.

I followed your instructions and VIM is now installed. Maybe you should rewrite some
of the readme files so that they can be understood by  mere mortals. For example the
installation instructions currently contain such magic spells  as:

"Set the $VIM environment variable to point to the top directory of your Vim files.  For
the above example:
  set VIM=dh0:editors/vim"

The problem is that now I have got to find out how to make it do  the elegant the things
which Steve demonstrated and I have a horrid suspicion that this will prove to be
beyond me. Most of the help files seen to be aimed at the command line version rather
than the GUI version which I am using.

 I will have a go at it this weekend but I am not very optimistic ... -

David