The Great "Hard Return" Debate

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 12:13:41 -0800

Friday, November 05, 1999, 11:44:40 AM, Ralph wrote:
> A collection of single purpose specialized tools will almost always
> outperform integrated applications except in one area that's critical for
> most people using PMMail and other integrated email programs - simplicity.

    No, I did not.  You only think I did.

> Most computer users wouldn't know a subdirectory from a CDROM,

    In unix the CDROM is a subdirectory, but I digress.

> People using email programs don't expect to have to download, install,
> configure, learn and integrate a text editor into their email programs just
> to perform a basic email function like responding to a message or creating a
> new one. Likewise, they wouldn't expect to have to download, configure,
> learn and integrate a graphics program just to create a simple graph of
> their spreadsheet data.

    Who said anything about downloading, installing, configuring and so on?
Ralph, we've had this discussion on this list many times before.  You *KNOW*
that my argument is that an editor be bundled, preconfigured and installed.
This is what pine does with pico on the unix world.

> Even though there are a myriad of functions included in separate text
> editors and graphics programs that are not included in integrated email
> and spreadsheet programs, they are functions that are of little or no
> use to the vast majority of the people using the integrated packages.

    Incorrect.  Just because you don't know of them doesn't mean that they
aren't useful.

> Most people want a single integrated email package that performs all the
> basic email functions - including composition - and which requires the least
> amount of handholding.

    Then tell me how a bundled, preconfigured external editor is any different
than an intergrated one to those people?

    It isn't.

    But to the power user it is a *LOT*.  And remember, as people gain
experience they want to be able to do more.

> So while idea of being able to assemble the ideal email program from
> collection of single purpose specialized tools is attractive to many on this
> list, it is a non-starter for the vast majority of email users. PMMail
> includes a text editor in tacit acknowledgment of this fact. Currently, it
> probably satisfies the needs of about 95% of its users. With just a little
> bit of work, that number could be increased to 99%+.

    The problem is that as many different email clients try to do the same
thing, they all look the same.  What is left for the non-newbie user?  You do
realize that I've been having nearly identical discussions on TB!'s mailing
list because of the same thing.  A bunch of people evangelizing appeasing the
masses of the email market.  In doing so they alienate the core users who
don't want another mass-market-molded piece of shit client!

    Let me put in different words.  Outlook Express, Netscape Communicator,
Pegasus.  Three clients which already appease the mass-market design.  All
three do so for the price of $0.  Nothing.  Nada.  Ziltch.  Two of the three
come preinstalled on damned near every machine built today.  Most of the
mass-market that you're describing will *NOT* look beyond what they are given
to them.  Those that are going to look beyond the basics will be patient,
competent and technical enough to want to tweak things.

    Now, if that is the case, that means that you need to give people a reason
to switch.  If you think that having another Outlook Express/Communicator but
costing $35 is going to do it, you're wrong.  Why should they switch to
something which is the same (huge, bloated, slow, mediocre in every way) as
what they have and *PAY* for it when they already have it for *FREE*?

    They don't have a compelling reason.

    That means that the authors of PMMail and TB! (and who knows what other
client I might show an interest in in the months ahead) need to stop trying to
appease to the mass-market, they're not going to get it.  They've already been
outintergrated (Netscape is a browser, newsreader, email client, html editor
all in one; Outlook express is an email client, newsreader, dayplanner, task
manager, calander all rolled into one) and undersold.  They need to look at
what isn't being done and go for that.

    There *IS* a market out there that isn't addressed.  That is the market
that does *NOT* want everything in one package!  The person who wants to have
the specialized programs to do specialized things and is willing, nay eager,
to mix and match.  Pursue that market and you're one of a very select few
choices.  Pursue the mass-market and you're nothing more than a copycat of the
dozens upon dozens of other offerings out there, many of which are larger,
more intergrated, free and preloaded.