The Great "Hard Return" Debate

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 14:52:13 -0800

Friday, November 05, 1999, 2:45:22 PM, Jay wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 1999 14:32:31 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
>>    Tell me why none of these are really a problem in the unix world and
>>having those tasks separated out isn't an issue.

> Because UNIX is programmer friendly and user hostle. We designed
> it that way and we are proud of it.

    Funny, I find Unix user friendly.  It is Windows that is user hostile.

"Do you want to delete that file?"  Yes.
"It's a program, are you sure you want to delete it?"  Yes!
"Well, I'll just put it in the 'trash' for you just in case you were out of
your mind when you answered yes twice in a row."
*click*
"Do you want to empty the trash thereby deleting the files that you already
told me to delete but I didn't believe you?"  *YES!!!!!!!*

    Give me a mistaken rm -rf * / somedirectory over that any day of the week.
I'd rather rebuild my filesystem once every 2-3 years compared to the 2-3
years of wasted, needless, hostile "user (idiot) friendly" questions.