The Great "Hard Return" Debate

Jay Gibberman pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 05 Nov 1999 16:01:20 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999 14:49:42 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>    Hey, it's an education.  ;)

Indeed it is. You are still incorrect. But I have relearned
something today thus making it an education that was
in fact very valuable to me. I have relearned impulse control.
I thank you for helping me to relearn it Steve. As proof of my
improved judgement:

This is my last post on the subject.
(He covers his ears as the list gives a deafening cheer of relief.)

Again list, please accept my complete apology. Carrying on this
discussion was completely childish and foolish. I am embarrased
that I did not control myself here. I was fully aware that I
would be engaging in a ridiculous, never ending, and off topic subject
for the list, yet I did so anyway and simply for my own enjoyment. I could
have easily taken it private, but I elected not to. I justified this by thinking
"well this list has very little traffic anyway and its all in fun." That was certainly
no excuse!

People pay for access to the net and when they subscribe to a PMMAIL list,
they have every right to expect to read about PMMAIL. Asking them to pay
to pick up my transmission of banter to Steve was completely inappropriate.
I have refrained from such exercises in the past and hope that today has taught
me the good judgement to refrain from them in the future.

I know what I know. My contribution to what is now Unix is also well known
in the community. This is a PMMAIL discussion. I am deeply sorry. I will
do my best not to make the same error in the future.

Sincerely,
-Jay