Another New Feature Request

Brian Morrison pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 18:28:01

On Tue, 09 Nov 1999 10:14:40 -0800 (PST), Bill Wood wrote:

>It cannot, for example, depend on everyone
>following some obscure 'netiquette'.

Such a pity that. We all benefit by following 'rules' of one sort or
another in everyday life, but email 'rules' are wrong and should be
done away with? What would you do if someone decided that they don't
want to drive on the accepted side of the road? It's the same sort of
argument.

Anyway, as with the IPv6 changeover, any change 'net wide is likely to
take many years to achieve. The better solution would be for every mail
client to follow the existing rules properly, support all types of
content and attachment, quote correctly etc etc. Most of these
discussions would then be unnecessary.

The vast majority of problems I see with mail can be laid at the door
of Exchange and Lotus Notes, with sub cultures caused by Outlook and
cc:Mail.

              do you know how far this has gone?
               just how damaged have I become?
                                      'Even Deeper' by Nine Inch Nails