Another New Feature Request

Darin McBride pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 21:11:59 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999 16:31:50 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>Tuesday, November 09, 1999, 4:17:59 PM, Darin wrote:
>> Anyone (who is somewhat more polite) want to start up another PMMail
>> list?
>
>> Just curious...
>
>    Darin, let me explain this to you quite calmly.
>
>1: As many will attest, when the list wasn't under my control I was exactly
>the same.  So don't begin to think that just because the list resides on my
>server that I'm acting like this.

I didn't begin to think this.

>2: In the months that the list has been run the only people whom I have
>removed from the list are people whose email addresses have bounced
>excessively that the list software did not catch.

I didn't imply, or at least didn't intend to imply, that I was about to
be kicked off your list.  Leave your list, perhaps, but not be kicked
off.

>3: I resent the implication that I am unable to separate my duties as
>administrator of the list (which is purely a technical role) and my opinions
>expressed here.  If you have any evidence that I am unable to do so, let's
>hear it.  If not, please refrain from such libelous statements.  If you will
>note, today alone, two people that I've bumped heads with in the past and even
>recently have defended my separation of duties and opinions.  In fact, if
>there was ever need for moderation I've stated that the person that I would
>endorse is one of the people that I regularly butt heads with.

Again, I didn't imply, or at least didn't intend to imply, that you
were incapable of said separation.

The implication, baldly stated, is that:
  a) you are the owner, and thus any moderator, should there be one,
would have a hard time asking you to kick yourself off.
  b) some people may not entirely share your enthusiasm, and may want a
list where PMMail can be discussed without people being called
"ignorant".  Sure, this is tame compared to usenet, but I'm not reading
usenet because I prefer to stay away from the flaming.  When I'm in the
mood for flaming, I'll crosspost between OS/2 and Windows advocacy
newsgroups.  When I'm interested in calm, reasonable discussion, I sign
up for mailing lists.

IMO, you're entirely free to run your mailing list whichever way you
want.  In the same way, others are entirely free to start their own
lists, and run them whichever way they want.  And the rest can choose
which, if any, they subscribe to.

I was merely asking the somewhat-rhetorical question to see if anyone
was interested in an alternative.  I was not offering said alternative,
even though I have all the software to do it...