Money Talks?

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 12:31:13 -0700

On Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 03:34:35AM -0400, Ralph Cohen wrote:
> I understand that what Timur said may have been a bit subtle, but your
> equation needs to be rewritten more like this:

    No, I got it as it wasn't subtle.  Of course, it plays on the emotional
aspect of it all and is utterly foolish.  Quantify what your time is worth.  I
can say that mine is worth ~$29/hour if my job is a decent gague.  OTOH,
because of Linux I am doing a lot of things on my system that I want to do
that I otherwise cannot do as easily.  As a result I have more time to do
other things, like get out and socialize, take a vacation in WI and still keep
in contact and so on.

    It was ignorant because the time I save with the tool I am using, which
comes for free, exceeds the time I have put into it.  The net effect is that
Linux is really less than free.

> (Linux=FREE) = (Lots of time*(ValueOfYourTIme=$0))

(Linux = FREE) = ((Time Saved * ValueOfYourTime) - (Time Spent * VOYT))

    Yeah, it was subtle because it played into your emotional arguments
without really saying anything of value.  A classic advocacy trick.