Money Talks?

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 12:36:09 -0700

On Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 03:08:13AM -0400, Ralph Cohen wrote:
> C'mon, Steve, don't you like to get paid for what you do?

    The labor of what I do, sure.  The principles and code resulting from that
labor, no.  It also depends on how you defined "paid", doesn't it?

> everything you need, then that's great for you.  OS/2 serves my
> purposes and just like my hard drive or CDROM or monitor or fax
> machine, I don't mind paying for the tools I need to get the job done.

    Neither do I.  I don't subscribe to the notion, however, that the tools to
get the job done *MUST* be twice as expensive as tools on another platform, or
cost anything at all since there is another platform where almost everything
is free.

    It is a subtle way of saying that price equals quality and that clearly is
not the case when it comes to software.

> P.S.  If the answer to the first question I posed is "No", then I'd
> like to talk to you about some work I need done. <g>

    All depends.  Basic perl scripts, if the project interests me, no probs.
I do those all the time beacuse I like coding in perl.  Like most hoggies, I
do it for free.

    Why do you think this list has a free home on my connection.  The machine
cost, the power costs, the connection costs.  I like mucking around with the
machine and the connection and the software and this list happens to fit in to
what I like to do.

    Like I said, depends on how you get paid, doesn't it?  I'm getting paid by
being able to do stuff I like and have others appreciate that work.