The 5th PMMail 'Money Talks' Release-the-Damn-Updates-Already Tally Sheet

Bill Wood pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 07:13:14 -0700 (PDT)

Folks,

I've gotten used to the pay-if-you-like-it shareware
paradigm. I've also gotten used to the MS
pay-for-bug-fix-and-for-beta-releases paradigms (I just
don't join in).  I don't have many questions about
these.

I do think people ought to pay for the products they
actually use. This would include genuine product
upgrades, but not bug-fix releases nor those that
finally provide promised but missing features. I would
guess that PMMail is pretty much a mature product; the
93-percent-finished estimate seems about right. So at
this point, paying for a release that is mostly new
features plus a few bug kills is OK. Many would agree
as our response indicates. I also know that $1,000
doesn't go very far in engineering development - a few
days of a journeyman SW engineer, tops, depending how
the books are kept (an IR&D-type account would double
the effort*).

I've also gotten used to the constant
os2-is-dead-or-dying mantra. But I do have one question
here. Does anybody know how many active OS2 users (zb,
one of the OSs installed on the computer they use
daily) there are in the US/world-wide? Even the
slightest idea?

How about registered PMMail users?

It may be that our best contribution to this quest
would be to convince Southsoft that a $20 to $25
upgrade charge would be supported by most PMMail users,
particularly in the OS2 world. This might motivate them
to take the risk.

w3

* If anyone would like a short tutorial on how most US
aerospace companies keep books on engineering projects,
send me your email address and I'll put one together.
It shouldn't exceed a couple/few pages. Also, give me a
few days. I've got house guests.

===========================
On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 15:44:57 +0200, Anders Gjerl v
wrote:

>>But Stardock will probably dump all OS/2 development once they've
>>shipped the final bug fixes for OD 2 and any other OS/2 stuff that's in
>>the works.

>>Brad keeps saying that OS/2 doesn't pay them and that he can't justify
>>spending any money on it. They are only shipping a few fixes now
>>because they said they would some time ago.
>>
>>But keep hoping.....

w3

Bill Wood
Las Vegas, NV