(fwd) Re: PMMail2.1 & PGP (fwd)

John M Price, PhD pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:50:01 -0700 (PDT)

A note I posted to usenet on the PGP issue.

In comp.os.os2.mail-news article <380a250d.128579@news.demon.co.uk> no-one@nospam wrote:
: On Sun, 17 Oct 1999 18:31:47 +0200 (CDT), "Adrian Gschwend"
: <nospam_ktk@netlabs.org> wrote:

:>Almost nothing happens on my machine. If I get a PGP encrypted message, I
:>just see garbage. If I save the message and uncrypt it by hand it works. If a
:>message is signed I just get "Could not verify PGP key". And I don't know how
:>to encrypt a message with PGP because nothing happens. I use PGP 5.0

: How are you viewing the messages ?    I do not use the preview pane
: window.   I have to click on the message to open it and when I do I
: get  a message requesting my passphrase before the message opens.  If
: the passphrase is correct, the message opens decrypted, if not correct
: the message opens with encrypted text displayed.

I added version 5, Geiger's compile, and it flat does not work.  I have
tried opening a message, and it has hung the entire machine on the
passphrase window.  (Previously, it was simply blank - manual gave me a
'need newer version error.)  If I go to the folder where the message is,
and run PGP (5.0) from the command line, it works fine.  I've not tried
encryption.

Does PMMail know about the version 5 'multiple binaries' issue?

Is there a different compile for OS/2 which does not have that issue?

Very frustrating.  This was one of the selling points for me - saving
bouncing back and forth from command line, text import, etc.

--
John M. Price, PhD                                     jmprice@calweb.com
Life: Chemistry, but with feeling!      |      PGP Key on request or FTP!

By concisely surveying the whole Freudian enterprise with a skeptical eye,
Esterson dispels any impression that some parts of that enterprise have
passed beyond controversy. [The book's] eventual verdict - that every
notion and practice peculiar to psychoanalysis is open to fundamental
objection - rests on evidence that any reader can check by following up
Esterson's cited sources.
     - Professor Frederick Crews commenting on Allen Esterson's text:
       Seductive Mirage : An Exploration of the Work of Sigmund Freud