Significance of "Envelope-to"

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 19:49:03 -0700

Sunday, October 24, 1999, 1:54:05 PM, John wrote:
> *is* listed in the "Envelope-to:" section.  My question is this: Is
> it possible that someone could have unwittingly sent me this (rather
> sensitive) e-mail without being aware of it

    Most likely not.

> and if so, what would be the mechanism to create or send such a message?

    BCC or bounce/redirect.

> How does one manipulate the "Envelope-to:" section, and can it effectively
> act as a "blind-copy"?

that determines who the message is to.  The headers we see are data to the
SMTP transaction and have very little bearing on the actual addressing.
However, that portion of the transaction is taken from the original message.

> "error" could have occurred, how to determine if it can happen again,
> and what to do about it.

    Someome keyed you into the BCC field or bounced the message to you.  User
error.